Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Inverse Demand Problem of Solar Water Heating

One thing I forgot to share with you all last night is the problem of solar water heating.  As I have previously mentioned, this past weekend featured miserable weather.  The only upside was that the rain and clouds kept Barbados nice and cool.  However, the problem with having no sun for more than a day is that your supply of hot water disappears.  In Barbados most homes have solar-heated water, whereby a large aluminum tank stores water on top of the roof to get heated by the sun.  But if there is no sun there is no hot water!  So, ironically, you can only get hot water on days when you would rather have a cold shower to cool down.  (I think there is a way to electrically heat your water, and I believe I have identified the switch in my apartment that would allow me to do that, but until I hear back from the landlady I will hesitate to flip a big red switch whose function I am not 100% sure about).

I had this problem over the weekend.  Since the average temperature was in the mid-70s that was the hottest the water could get.  This made taking a shower an unpleasant experience.  Yesterday we finally got some sun and thus some very hot water.  Yet because I had been running around outside all day, the last thing I wanted was a hot shower!  Ahh the joys of living in Barbados! 

No comments:

Post a Comment