Sunday, February 20, 2011

Jammin Catamaran Cruise

Yesterday I went on a catamaran cruise with 30 other students studying abroad at UWI this semester.  The cruise went from 9am-2:30pm (which meant I had to be up at 7 to meet everyone!!) and included lunch and all you can drink alcohol/soda/coffee/tea, etc.  The cruise started near Bridgetown and immediately went to two snorkeling locals.  The first was a place where we could swim with the turtles, which sounds like some campy tourist cliche, but was actually a lot of fun; more then once a big turtle came swimming right at me or surfaced for air right in front of my face.  The other snorkeling location was by two sunken ships (a recently demised tug boat and a French trawler from 1919).  There were lots of coral growths on the ships and schools of fish swimming around.  Again, very neat.

After the snorkeling the boat went for a sail up the west coast of Barbados, stopped for lunch and swimming outside of the Sandy Lane hotel, and then returned home.  All told there were 50 people on the boat, but it didn't feel crowded because of how large it was.  The only downside to the day was I got a little sunburned after forgetting to reapply sunblock after going swimming so many times.  There goes my goal of spending a year in Barbados without getting burned!

I took a lot of photos of the trip on my waterproof camera which I hope to upload soon.  I have an essay due on Friday and need to finish my thesis proposal, so I doubt I will get to the photos until after those jobs are done. 

No comments:

Post a Comment