Saturday, February 12, 2011

Weekend Update

It's been a while since I've posted and I figure I should let you all know what I've been up to.  The past week was busy, with my time split between not feeling that great (there is a cold going around), writing a paper that was due yesterday, class and homework, etc.  The paper topic was simple - is Sustainable Tourism an oxymoron? - but I still found it a difficult piece to write because we were given only 600 words to make our case and were told we needed to not only give our opinion but address the literature on the subject as well.  It was a lot to cram into such a small space.

The one pleasure I have been able to indulge in is reading Ken Follett's Pillars of the Earth which I picked up last Friday while grocery shopping.  I was in the mood for some more fiction after re-reading Isaac Azimov's Foundation Trilogy, and figured I should give Follett a try; all those commercials for the Starz series they did based off the book piqued my interest.  So far it has been a great read and I recommend it to anyone who likes historical fiction.

Other news:

1) I officially dropped that horrendous migration class, so I can cast that out of my mind.

2) I have settled on a thesis topic.  I want to explore the place of CARICOM within the emerging multipolar world.  CARICOM has only existed in a bipolar (Cold War) and Unipolar (post-Cold War) setting so far, which means it will be faced with an unfamiliar international setting as U.S. power declines relative to China, India, Brazil, etc.  How will it navigate this new world?  Will it be able to survive in its current form?  Is it even a worthwhile project anymore?  All things I think are not only interesting but need to be answered.  Also, I haven't come across anyone talking about this yet.

3)  I've been experimenting with the frozen fish section at the supermarket.  There is this company called Tidal which is based in Barbados that sells breaded, precooked fish that you can just quickly re-cook in some olive oil.  So far I have tried their flying fish and white fish (both good but the flying fish is better) and have a box of dolphin fish waiting in my freezer.  I'm very happy to have found some alternative protein sources.

That's about all that's going on.  I'm going to spend the rest of my weekend working on my thesis proposal and reading for class on Monday.  I'm getting back into "school mode" after my month off during winter break.

No comments:

Post a Comment