Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Class Schedule for Second Semester

I've officially registered for classes for the coming semester and it's looking pretty good so far.  I've decided to take four classes and just finish off my coursework part of the degree rather than take three this semester and one over the summer.  While the relaxing schedule of only three courses sounds really nice, I was worried about the summer course becoming unavailable (no guarantee it will be offered), so decided I was best off just taking 4 this semester and being done with it.  The last thing I wanted to happen was to plan on taking the summer course, have it become unavailable, and then need to come back to Barbados in the fall to take one more course.  That would have been a nightmare.  And, knowing UWI, a real possibility!

Anyway, the four courses I am taking are:
1) The European Union and African Union
2) Issues in Labour Migration
3) Sustainable Tourism Development
4) Business, Government, and International Political Economy

I wish I could tell you what I will be studying in these courses, but alas UWI does not provide any course descriptions, so I am just as curious as you are!  Specifically, Business, Government, and IPE is such a broad title for a course.  I can imagine an infinite number of topics that could be covered under such a minimal description.  If I actually had more choices for courses I would find this really frustrating since I could be signing up for classes it turns out I am not interested in.  I guess this is one instance where less choice is good?  At the very least it gives me a reason to not think about this stuff too much...

With this course load my schedule will be very light.  I will have class from 5-8pm on Mondays and Tuesdays ( EU/AU and Labour Migration respectively) and from 1-4 on Thursdays (Tourism Development).  Those three classes will last all semester.  Business, Government, and IPE is another one of those intensive two-week courses from the Masters in International Trade Policy program.  It will be held on Monday through Friday, from 9am-1pm, from March 28th-April 8th.  Those should be a fun two weeks.

Finally, I hope to start work on my thesis during this semester.  With only three full-time courses I think I can manage to develop a good research question and begin accumulating material so that when classes end in May I can jump right into writing and finish at the very latest by August.

So that's an academic update.  Socially I've been having a good time as well.  I've been hanging out a bunch with two Americans who moved into a friend's old apartment after she returned home last month.  Their names are Trey Culler and Sarah Bowdich and they are here for one semester while doing a study abroad program from the University of North Carolina: Wilmington. They're really nice people and its fun to spend time with them (I will post some pictures of them/our activities soon).  Tomorrow we are going out to celebrate Trey's birthday at a really nice restaurant called The Tides and then some partying in nearby Holetown.  It should be a great night.

And then there is the Jets.  Watching playoff football during the weekends has been an absolute blast due to the quality of the games.  I will be sad when the season is over, but to be honest it's probably a good thing since the semester starts next week and I can't spend my Sundays just watching TV!  So I am going to enjoy these last couple of games, hope the Jets advance to the Super Bowl, and try not to annoy the entire neighborhood with my screaming at the TV.

Ok, time to go make dinner!  I'll be back with that 4-month reflection sometime before class starts on Monday.  Cya soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment