Tuesday, September 7, 2010

And on the Second Day, There Were Two Classes

Today was my second day of class at UWI.  I had the 9-1 Globalization and Global Governance class, which continues to pry into my mind and prune it of all sorts of preconceptions and prejudices, as well as a class from 5-8 on Caribbean Governance, which looks like it is going to be very interesting.  So yes, I am enjoying my classes so far.  However, given that I am taking six courses this semester, I am absolutely dreading the workload.  So far I only know the assignments in four of my classes and I already have five 12-14 page papers, three presentations, and three final exams.  I shudder to think how much higher those numbers will be once I find out the workload for my final two classes.

Right now it's 9:50 and I just finished cleaning up from dinner.  In about an hour I will have to hop into the shower so that I can be in bed by midnight and get close to seven hours of sleep.  Man this week is tough.  I can't wait for the weekend, but I know that only means getting to wake up and do lots of reading instead of going to class.  What a wonderful, relaxing, entertaining break that will be!  Perhaps I will make time for a quick snorkeling trip under the pretense of preserving mental integrity.  We shall see.

Intellectual highlights of today include the following: the stunning realization that globalization has not actually ushered in a new type of world-system but rather new ways of conducting business within the same world system; a fierce debate among my Globalization classmates and the professor about Barbados' economic plan of trying to emulate Singapore's service-driven economy as well as building up a global diaspora; and the growing realization that despite the Caribbean's diminutive size, it is such a unique, vibrant, perplexing, and promising region.  There exists throughout the Caribbean the simultaneous love for national sovereignty - driven by the different cultures and histories of each island - as well as a strong feeling of regional solidarity born out of the shared colonial and slave experiences.  Trying to understand it all and make sense of it from a historical and policy-making perspective makes for such an interesting intellectual endeavor.  I have this feeling of standing before a large puzzle that has an unknown number of pieces.  Assuming the puzzle even has a "solution," I hope that my time at UWI will help me figure out how to put the pieces together. 

Ok thats all I have time for tonight.  See you tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment