Sunday, September 19, 2010

The Past Couple Days

I last posted on Wednesday and since then some interesting things have occurred.  First, I finished my hellish 9am-1pm, Monday-Friday class, which means I now have four day weekends that I can use to tackle the many large essays I have to write this semester.  Most importantly it means I get to stop waking up at 8am (I'm really not a morning person) and instead I can get on a schedule that better suits me.

Second, last night I went out with a couple of people from my now finished 9-1 class.  We went to Oistins for dinner, where I had grilled flying fish for the first time (delicious!), and then to St. Lawrence Gap, which is where a lot of bars/dance places are.  It was a lot of fun even though most of the places were pretty empty - they aren't kidding when they say this is the slow season!  I was told it will be more lively from December-February, so it might be worth going back sometime in that time span.

The first place we went to was called the Ship Inn and it was only the nine of us and a couple of expat and visiting British.  The place is run by a crazy British guy who would come up to me and my friends, ask us what we wanted to drink, pause for a beat, and then get all pissed off when we took more than two seconds to reply.  I've never wanted to call someone a "wanker" more than I did at that moment.  Normally we would have left, but it was happy hour from 11-12, so all the drinks were half price.  This meant a Jack Daniels on the rocks was only $6 bds, or $3 U.S.  Quite the deal even if the drinks were small.  We left there shortly after midnight to go to a place that had more people and more dancing, which is where we stayed for the rest of the night.

Third, I've finalized my class schedule, I swear!  I am taking five courses this semester and four next semester.  While this means I am going to have a LOT of work this semester, it means that I don't have to come back a year from now to take classes.  Therefore, I can finish all my classes by next semester, write my thesis over the summer, and then leave around a year from now to go back to the U.S. and find an internship to finish out the degree.  Doing it this way means I can write my PhD applications from the U.S., which will be useful if I have to go for interviews, as well as save some money by potentially living at home. 

One thing I forgot to mention on Wednesday was that at the reception after the Canadian minister spoke I finally got to meet the Charge' d'Affaires from the U.S. Embassy.  His name is Dr. Brent Hardt and we spoke for a good twenty minutes about a range of things, including the fact that he just took his youngest son on a tour of Hamilton College!  I tried to persuade him that Hamilton is a great choice for his son, but we'll see if that turns out to be the case.  His son is an aspiring architect, and I'm not so sure how good of a program Hamilton has in that field.

That's all I can think of for now.  I'm sure there are some things that I'm forgetting, but I'll just toss those into the next post.  Have a good week everybody!

No comments:

Post a Comment