Thursday, September 23, 2010

The Weekend is Here!

It's Thursday night, which means my weekend has officially begun!  I know, everyone who works for a living that reads this blog, feel free to hate me.  I would too if I were you.

My weekend got off to a great start too; normally I would have to wait until 8pm (when my last class ends) for it to begin, but today my 5-8 class was canceled because they had just done a lot of painting in the graduate studies building and we were told to go home because of the fumes.  So, I got to go home at 5:30 and begin my weekend a couple hours earlier than normal.

This is a good thing cause I'm pretty beat, even though I have class only three days a week.  Its not the classes that get me, its the mountains of reading and all the assignments that are awaiting my attention that are mentally exhausting.  So far I've been doing a pretty good job of getting a head start on my assignments (I already finished one essay) and performing triage on my reading lists.  This weekend I am going to finish another essay (leaving 4 for me to do for the semester) and catch up on some Caribbean history.  For those of you that are interested, here are the essay topics I am doing for my Globalization & Global Governance class.  The first one is the essay I've already finished.

1) Account for the rise of global governance.  What are the challenges to deepening multilateral cooperation?

2) What do you understand to be the salient ideas and assumptions that made for the “Washington Consensus”? (Don’t go past 1990).


My other plans for the weekend are pretty simple.  I'm going to do a quick run to the local grocery store tomorrow and if the weather is nice out, which it hasn't been in a while, I will head out for a quick snorkel.  A swim sounds really relaxing right now and I found out the other week that there's a beach literally 2 minutes from my apartment!  I've gotta go try it out.

The other big piece of news that happened this week is Nora booked her flights to come visit!  She'll be visiting from October 31st-November 7th, which is a good time for me because it's right in the middle of the semester, when I'm likely to need a break.  My plan is to do as many of my major assignments before she gets here so that I can have some free time to explore the island with her.  This means a lot of work now, but it will be worth it once she gets here!

That's really all that happened this week.  Ever since school started life has been a lot less dynamic.  That said, I still like it here even though I am starting to get bored with the food I am able to cook/buy and I am getting frustrated about my lack of cable TV.  I would really like to be able to sit and do my work with football on in the background, but alas, it seems the cable company really just wants me to be extra studious this semester.

One last thing before I go: I was reading Nicholas Kristof's Op-Ed today in the NY Times and in it there was a link to a really awesome movement called The Girl Effect.  You should visit their site (http://girleffect.org/) and watch the first video they made, which is on YouTube at: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIvmE4_KMNw.  If you're moved like I was, I encourage you to donate or spread the word. 

Ok thats enough of my preaching - time to go relax for a bit so I can begin my second essay tomorrow!  Night everyone and hope your weekends get off to as good of a start as mine did!

No comments:

Post a Comment