Friday, September 24, 2010

Frustrated/Flummaxed

I just had a really annoying experience.  I was heading out to go to the local supermarket called Jordans and I decided that I should see if there is a quicker way down to the main road than the normal way I go.  So I decided to ask this group of locals, all young men, who hang out near my apartment if I could get to the main road by going right instead of left.  They said yes and showed me how to get there, but then told me they needed a six pack of beer from Jordans.  I asked them what kind they wanted and they said "Banks."  Fine, I thought.  Its not that much trouble for me and they did just show me how to get down to the main road via another route.  I thought of asking for money for the beer at that moment but figured I could just get it when I returned.

Long story short, I returned with their six pack but they said they couldn't pay me.  I didn't want to ask why, because I figure the last thing a white person should do is ask a bunch of locals why they cant afford something, so I just asked them if they'll pay me back later.  They said yes (obviously lying) and I walked away pissed off.  Its not the money I am upset about (the six pack was $6.50 U.S.) but rather the lack of respect and what this means for every time I have to walk past these guys on the way to school now.  But on the other hand, I can't tell if I've been had or if this is a normal exchange of advice for another friendly service.  I really doubt this, but we shall see.

Anyway, all you people who are reading this, don't worry about my safety - I've walked past these guys many times without problem.  I don't believe they will start bothering me because of this.  If anything, they're less likely to since I didn't get in their faces about the money.  That said, I do worry about them thinking they can get free six packs off me whenever they want.  Next time I go to the supermarket, I am going to make sure they aren't outside.

Ok, time to start thinking about dinner.  I am going to try making shrimp scampi tonight (my mother's suggestion) so I need to read the recipe and get all my tools together.  I'm looking forward to this because I've grown really tired of chicken and pasta lately!  I hope it will give me a boost of productivity to start my second essay tonight, but we shall see.

No comments:

Post a Comment